Confidential Settlement for Death from MRSA Infection of IV Site
When our clients’ son was hospitalized for a head injury from a motorcycle accident, an IV site was started in his arm. Over the next several days during the hospitalization, the young man started to develop signs and symptoms of sepsis (bacterial contamination in the blood stream), which were ignored by the hospital nursing staff and attending physician. Although the patient recovered from the head injury and was discharged home from the hospital after a few days, the patient became progressively more ill from the undiagnosed sepsis. Several days after the patient had been discharged from the hospital he was rushed back to the hospital in septic shock from the infected IV site. Laboratory testing showed the IV site had been infected with MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) – most likely a Hospital Acquired Infection.